MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Saturday, August 5, 2017

T49

Multiple efforts were made to improve the firepower of the T41 light tank, including the use of the T91E5 autoloader and mounting the 90 mm M41 from the M48 Patton in a late model turret. However, mirroring the improvements of the T37 which would lead into the T41, the T41 was given an enlarged turret to hold a bigger gun. The experimental T132 smoothbore gun was first installed, but the weapon’s accuracy was unsatisfactory. It was then given some shallow rifling, increasing its accuracy; the weapon was designated as T132E3. These modified T41s armed with the 90 mm T132E3 in an enlarged turret were then designated as the T49 light tank. However, given the T41E1 itself was seen as an interim tank, interest was soon lost in the T49.

Drawing of the T49

The T49, as it is in-game, is not accurately represented. The XM551 turret with the 152 gun-launcher, while actually mounted on a T41 chassis, was meant solely to test the gun and turret. To say this variant is a "T49" is very misleading. Rather, the T49 should be thought of as an up-gunned M41, not part of the XM551 program.

So what I've done is remove the XM551 turret and 152 gun-launcher from the T49, and shift it down to Tier VIII. Don't worry, these modules and more can be found on the new Tier IX light tank, the XM551.

The stock turret for this tank should be the M41A1 turret, capable of mounting the 76 mm T91 and the 76 mm T91E5 autoloader. Cadillac proposed mounting the 90 mm M41 in this turret, and while it can work, whether or not that happens is ultimately a balance decision. However, with the German M41 90 at Tier VIII, I don't see why this would be a major issue.

Still, the 90 mm T132E3 should only be mounted in the T49 turret. There should be no real differences between this new tank and the old T49 (before Tier X light tanks), just the removal of the 152 mm launcher and XM551 turret.

Guns: 76 mm Gun M32 Early; 76 mm Gun T91E5 (autoloader); 76 mm Gun M32 Late; 90 mm Gun T132E3; 90 mm Gun M41

EnginesContinental AOS-895-3 (500 hp); Continental AOS-895-5 (550 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): M41E1 (25/25/25); T49 (25/25/25)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): M41A1 TBS (23.49); T49 TBS (24.13)

Hull Armor (mm): 25/25/13

Top Speed: 72 km/h

Crew: 4 (Driver; Gunner; Loader; Commander/Radio)

Parent: M41 Bulldog
Children: XM551

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Sheridan, 2015. 

No comments:

Post a Comment