MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

T20

The T20 project arose after the first appearance of the up-armored and up-gunned Pz. III Js and Pz. IV F2s. Each tank outclassed the M4 Sherman, which at this point in the spring of 1942 had just entered full production. It was evident a successor to the Sherman was necessary. It was desired to use the 76 mm M1 gun, but since the gun was still in development at the time, other weapons were also proposed. Namely, the 75 mm M3 with an automatic loader and the 3-Inch M7, the latter of which was found on the M6 heavy tank and the M10 tank destroyer. It was also desired to test various combinations of suspension and transmission systems, which would give rise to the T22 and T23. Compared to the M4 Sherman, the T20 was lighter, had slightly better armor protection, had a higher top speed, and it fit a smaller profile. However, the transmission proved to be problematic and the vehicle was prone to fire. The T20 would end not being accepted into service, and work continued on the T22 and T23.

This new T20 should not be compared to its old counterpart at Tier VII. The 90 mm M3 was never considered for this tank, its engines are too powerful, it’s too fast, and its gun options are just all over the place. I’m purposefully dropping this tank to Tier V in order to set up a new branch, and I think it could fit perfectly here if represented authentically. It has its historical gun options here, its engines now fit their historical performances, and we’ve now got an accurate combination of all the T20 variants.

Compared to the M4 Sherman, this tank might seem better in every way, with a few different gun options. However, I think it would be better to consider this tank to be a “clunkier” M4. To compensate for some slightly better armor and speed, the vehicle can be given worse traverse speeds for its tracks and turret. It’s also a suitable follow-up to the M7 Medium, in my opinion. The M7 was suggested to replace the M4, however it ended up being a worse M4 in nearly every respect except its top speed. The T20, compared to the M7, “fixes” the issues the M7 had, namely in its armor and armament. But still, the T20 isn’t all that much better. The M4 is a more comfortable jack of all trades, not being particularly the best or worst at anything. The T20 should simply trade some maneuverability for slightly better armor, in my opinion.

Also, while the 75 mm M3 without the autoloader was never considered for this tank, I think it would make for a suitable stock gun as it would fit. It’s also the M4’s stock gun, so it would be nice for them to start with the same thing. And while the 76 mm gun was never meant for the tank at this stage of development, I think it's necessary to help balance the tank.

Guns: 75 mm Gun M3; 75 mm Gun M3 with automatic loader; 3-Inch Gun M7; 76 mm Gun M1A1

Engines: Ford GAF (500 hp); Ford GAN (525 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): T20 (89/63/63); T20E3 (89/63/63)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): T20 HVSS (29.83); T20E3 TBS (30.62)

Hull Armor (mm): 63/50/38

Top Speed: 48 km/h

Crew: 5 (Commander; Driver; Gunner; Loader; Radio)

Parent: M7 Medium, M3 Lee
Children: T22

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Pershing, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment