MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

T23

The T23 pilot models proved promising, so a production contract was approved in May 1943 for 250 vehicles. The production T23 carried an improved cast turret over the second pilot. The front armor was also increased to 3 inches over the 2.5 inches of the earlier pilots.

However, tests at Fort Knox concluded the T23 was inadequate for combat use. Difficulty maintaining the vehicle was the overwhelming factor behind its rejection. In April 1943, it was recommended that the T23 use a torsion bar suspension. These tanks would be designated T23E3. The turret was improved by relocating the equipment previously supported by the turret platform. 

In July 1943, it was proposed to standardize the T23E3 as the M27 medium tank, and at the same time standardize the T20E3 as the M27B1. However, the T25 and T26 medium tanks were showing more promise than the T23E3, so the standardization was not approved.

The T23E3 is already in the game. So, in making the T23 a regular tank, I think the T23E3 as a special reward vehicle is going to have to go. Fortunately, there's plenty of Tier VII options available to replace it with. Personally, I'm a fan of the M4 BRL.

As with the T22 and the T20, all the previous weapons from the T22 can carry over to the T23. However, I've also gone and given it the 90 mm Gun T7. While the 90 mm was never installed on a T23 chassis, the 90 mm was in fact installed in a modified T23E3 turret. This turret would then be mounted on the T25 chassis, becoming the first T25 pilot. So while it may be historically inaccurate to put the gun here, I wouldn't say it's inauthentic. Plus, I think it's necessary to help balance the tank for Tier VII.

Of the "Pershing" family of medium tanks at Tier VII, this tank occupies the far end of the spectrum. It has great mobility and gun handling, but the worst armor and gun options. The T26E5 is then its polar opposite, with the best armor, but the worst mobility and gun characteristics.

Guns75 mm Gun M3; 75 mm Gun M3 with automatic loader; 3-Inch Gun M7; 76 mm Gun M1A1; 
76 mm Gun M1A2; 90 mm Gun T7

Engines: Ford GAF (500 hp); Ford GAN (525 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): T23 (89/64/64); T23E3 (89/64/64)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): T23 VVSS (32.65); T23E3 TBS (36.01)

Hull Armor (mm): 76/50/38

Top Speed: 56 km/h

Crew: 5 (Driver; Gunner; Loader; Commander; Radio)

Parent: T22
Children: T42, M-4/5
See Also: T23 ATT23 Pilot #1T23 Pilot #2T25M26 PershingT26E5

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Pershing, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment