MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

T21

While not directly part of the T20 program, the T21 was devised in 1942 as a potential replacement for the M5 Light tank based on the general design of the T20. Originally, it was meant to mount the 75 mm M3, but even more powerful weapons were desired if they fit the weight limit of 20 tons. It was also to use the same suspension from the M7 medium tank. In 1943, the T21 grew to an estimated 47,000 pounds and mounted a 76 mm gun. Armor ranged from 29 mm at the front to 13 mm at the top, and it was specified to reach 35 mph. However, in 1943, the estimated weight of the tank grew to 51,000 pounds. Based on past experience of tanks growing heavier through development, Fort Knox decided the end result would just be an inadequate medium tank like what happened with the M7. In July 1943, the project was cancelled.

Honestly, I think the T21 as we have it right now is a little too powerful. In return for removing the T21’s top gun and engine (and giving it some more historical weapons and engines), I’ve buffed the tank’s turret and side armor a bit. These values are not actually known, so we can have some leeway with them. I simply took the difference between the known value of the front hull (1 1/8 inches or 29 mm) and worked some math with the values of the T20. This gave me a 54% difference between the two tanks. By applying the same metric to the other areas, I’ve quite significantly buffed the T21’s turret while slightly thinning its rear hull armor. I then converted the millimeters to inches, rounded to the nearest half-inch, and converted back to millimeters. Like the T20, the T21 is a bit “clunky” for a light tank.

Guns: 75 mm Gun M3; 75 mm Gun M3 with automatic loader; 75 mm Gun M6; 76 mm Gun M1A1

Engines: Ford GAF (500 hp); Ford GAN (525 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): T21 (38/25/25)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): T21 Early (21.32); T21 Late (23.13)

Hull Armor (mm): 25/25/13

Top Speed: 56 km/h

Crew: 5 (Driver; Gunner; Loader; Commander; Radio)

Parent: M24 Chaffee
Children: TS-8/32

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Stuart. 1992.  

No comments:

Post a Comment