MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Sunday, August 6, 2017

T22

Development of the T20 medium tank led into refining the lessons learned and the creation of the T22. Two pilot T22 medium tanks were completed in June 1943. They differed from the T20 in that used the power train components of the M4A3, including some internal rearrangements of the tank’s batteries and the auxiliary generator. The T22 also had a lower top speed than the T20. However, the pilots were still very similar to the T20. The first pilot would later had its turret modified for mounting of the 75 mm autoloader. This tank became designated T22E1. However, in late 1943, the 75 mm gun was deemed inadequate for a medium tank. In February 1944, the T22 project was suspended.

T22E1

Just about every module from the T20 carries over into the T22. Like the T20, three different guns were meant to be mounted on this tank. However, the 3-Inch gun was never mounted. Similarly, while the 75 mm M3 was never meant to be mounted without the autoloader, I think it should make for a suitable stock weapon.

The only upgrade from the T20 is the addition of a new top 76 mm gun. However, this tank should hopefully see its major differences in terms of its handling. It’d be very easy to give this tank superior maneuverability compared to the T20, in addition to gun handling and accuracy, reload speeds, and generally every single soft stat. While the tank is historically 8 km/h slower than the T20, I don’t think it’d be too egregious to make its top speed 48 km/h too, for balance.

And while neiter 76 mm gun were meant for the tank at this stage of development, I think it's necessary to help balance the tank.

Guns: 75 mm Gun M3; 75 mm Gun M3 with automatic loader; 3-Inch Gun M7; 76 mm Gun M1A1; 
76 mm Gun M1A2

Engines: Ford GAF (500 hp); Ford GAN (525 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): T22 (89/63/63); T22E1 (89/63/63)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): T22 HVSS (31.43); T22E1 HVSS (30.84)

Hull Armor (mm): 63/50/38

Top Speed: 48 km/h

Crew: 5 (Driver; Gunner; Loader; Commander; Radio)

Parent: T20
Children: T23

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Pershing, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment