MISSION STATEMENT

This website is to serve as a catalog of historical information for various tanks, across various stages of development, created for use by the United States from Pre-WWII through to the 1970s. However, the primary purpose for this website is to illustrate a proposal for what an "endgame" could look like for the US tech tree in the game, World Of Tanks, and to show that there's still plenty of life left to breathed into this game.

My aim is to see as many tanks in the game about tanks as possible, and I hope to show that in a way that respects both the historicity of the tanks shown and the balance of the game overall. As such, I will not be going into great detail on individual statistics. Rather, I will only be showing the possible modules for each tank, changes that could be made to make it more historically authentic, a historical overview, and how the tank's playstyle may be represented in-game. I will also attempt to future-proof this by including alternate hulls, half-tracks, and wheeled vehicles.

This is certainly not perfect and everything is subject to change. This is still a work in progress, and updates are frequent if not daily. This is a fan project and a labor of love. Do enjoy.

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

T32

The successful use of the M4A3E2 "Sherman Jumbo" emphasized the need for greater armor protection. It was recommended to develop a similar modification for the newer M26 Pershing. One approached was essentially just a regular M26 with thicker armor, which became the T26E5. But a long term solution was also sought, developing a new tank which still utilized as many M26 components as possible. This new heavy tank was designated T32 and was formally approved for development in March 1945.'

A powerpackage consisting of the V12 Ford GAC and the transmission similar to that planned for the T29 heavy tank were incorporated into the design.The M26's suspension design was copied over, but an extra roadwheel was added, lengthening the vehicle. The high-velocity T15E2, which at this point had proved successful in trials, was specified for all four T32 pilots. 

The front hull armor was specified as 5 inches at 54 degrees from the vertical, with the turret thickness at 11 3/4 inches at the front and 6 inches at the rear. For the first two pilots, the hull was cast with a bow machine gun port. The other two pilots used a rolled armor plate, eliminating the bow machine gun. These vehicles were designated T32E1.

I would like for this heavy tank branch, in contrast to the T30 branch, to use relatively low-caliber guns with high penetration. Starting now with the T32, a substantial reload speed is also in order, giving comparable DPM to its peer in the aforementioned branch, if not better, along with some average gun handling. So what I've done here is remove the 105 mm gun and replaced it with the 90 mm T54. As this was the most powerful 90 mm gun tested by the United States during the mid-1940s, and was tested on a version of the M26, it wouldn't be far off to propose its use here.

As an alternate hull option, this tank receives the T32E1 hull with the bow machine gun weakspot removed. While only one engine was tested in the T32 pilots, we could easily borrow the engine from the T34 as a top option.

Guns: 90 mm Gun T15E2; 90 mm Gun T54

Engines: Ford GAC (770 hp); Continental AV-1790-3 (810 hp)

Turrets (Turret Armor (mm)): T32 (298/152/152)

Suspensions/Alternate Hulls, Total Weight (metric tons): T32 (54.43); T32E1 (54.43)

Hull Armor (mm): 127/76/51

Top Speed: 35 km/h

Crew: 5 (Driver; Gunner; Loader; Commander; Radio)

Parent: T26E5
Children: TS-2
See Also: M26 Pershing, T26E4/T32

Sources:
Hunnicutt, R. P. Firepower. 2017. 

No comments:

Post a Comment